Pages

Friday, July 14, 2006

Summertime

Thought I'd post these pictures while they're still fairly recent. No big news yet, but soon. Ed is at Beale AFB right now for his U-2 interview. The initial interviews with different squadron commanders went really well. They told him they want to hire him - but he has to show them he can fly the plane. He'll start that on Monday. One guy told him that some people can fly the plane, and some people just can't. We'll see what happens. Besides the interviews, this week he also got measured and fitted for a space suit (the U-2 flies at extremely high altitudes), spent an hour in it to make sure he didn't get claustrophobic, did egress (? - not sure if I spelled it right, I think it's to show him how to eject from the plane) training, and went 155 mph in the chase car. The chase car is there to help the pilots take off and land. He has fallen in love with the base and the area all over again. We'll let you all know how it turns out in about a week.

The girls and I have been enjoying the warm weather, as you can tell by these pictures. Kimberlee got a kite for her birthday from some friends, and she has patiently been waiting for a windy day with no lightning. One day she announced that today was the day she would finally fly her kite, so we all went to the park and did it.

This week has been terribly hot and muggy with lots of thunderstorms. We even had two tornadoes in the area a couple days ago, one that touched down by the Dayton mall. So we've been inside a lot so my ankles won't swell up like balloons. But this morning we went to the library and happened to show up during storytime. Instead of reading a story they brought in someone from the Boonshoft Museum to show the kids some animals. We arrived after they had shown most of the reptiles, but the girls got to pet a snake (Keira did, Kimberlee was terrified), a dove, and a ferret, and they got an up-close look at a hedgehog. The girls were especially excited about the dove, of all things. Whenever we go to the park they like to try to catch the birds, and get so sad that the birds fly away (I don't want to think about what would happen if they actually caught one). So to actually touch one was a huge treat to them.

I'll write more next week. Love to all!

1 comment:

Music Mama said...

I am envious of your warm weather, although I'm glad we're not in tornado country any longer. How scary to have one touch by the Dayton mall! Good luck to Ed. Where is Beal AFB? When are you due again? Sorry, I just can't seem to commit that to memory. It's always good to hear from you :) Love Andrea