Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Dr. Seuss, Wild Bill and Severe Weather

Back to Little Rock we went on Saturday, this time to check out the Dr. Seuss exhibit at the Clinton Presidential Library.We saw green eggs and ham...

Yertle the turtle..

and pretended to be a grinch with the grinch.

The exhibit was actually pretty disappointing. Most of the pictures and things were replicas. But it did remind us of our favorite Dr. Seuss stories and made me vow to add to our library in that particular area. The girls need more Seuss in their lives.

Afterwards we toured the library. My personal favorite part was looking at all the gifts that Pres. Clinton was given from all over the world. According to the sign, the president is only allowed to accept gifts on behalf of the American people, so those gifts truly belong to us. Bet you didn't know you "owned" many priceless treasures, did ya?

We also saw the Oval Office.And sat in with his cabinet.And then the girls finished off the tour by making Dr. Seuss crafts.Kassie got antsy, so we went walking. She ran her stroller into 1 poor little girl 4 times. Seriously, I have no control over that girl.These last pictures are from our storms from yesterday. About a month ago a tornado hit the Air Force base we're stationed at (which is about 25 minutes away). It damaged 100 base homes, completely destroying many of them. That same night a tornado hit a town 8-10 miles northeast of us, "wiping it out." On Tuesday we had watched a tornado on the news that was heading towards our friends in Oklahoma City. The storm chaser that was filming was nearly killed by a telephone pole that snapped and went flying towards his car. I wasn't anywhere near that storm, but I was still terrified. Fast forward 24 hours, and storms started spinning up just as it was time for the girls to get home from school. The school called and said they were holding the buses, and the girls had to sit in the hall in their "tornado positions" (with their backpacks over their heads). The meteorologist named the subdivision next to ours and said "if you live in that area, you need to be in your storm shelter NOW." Of course I went running and Krista started crying. I have decided I will take a typhoon in Okinawa anyday over tornados in Arkansas. These things really freak me out.

Thankfully, the only thing that happened yesterday was this:
We're counting our blessings.

4 comments:

rylissite said...

HOLY COW!!! Did that hail damage anything??? Seriously, I am vowing NEVER to move to one of those states..... Been thinking about all of you a lot the past week! Stay safe!

Jamie Lamb said...

Tornados are freaking me out this year as well! We actually had a small one touch down just down the road from us right after I had the baby. I was up with the baby at 2 am, and I have NEVER heard wind like that in my life! It really does sound like a freight train! (get me back to Idaho!!!)

Grandma A said...

Wow. That's soooo scary.

Law Family said...

I was monitoring those storms the other day online that were hitting near OK City, my best friend lives in Edmond and it was heading straight for them. It was frightening. Luckily both of them turned and one missed to the North and the other missed to the South! I'm grateful you have been safe too!