Pages

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Musings at 39 1/2 weeks

Remember this? Maybe I didn't post it on here...this was me at 24 weeks. My friend Shannan asked me on facebook if I had swallowed a whole burrito. I remember thinking I was getting big fast. Sigh. It's all a matter of perspective I guess.
This is me today.  My due date is Friday.  I'm still accused of not looking pregnant enough.  I've gained more than the recommended 25-35 pounds, thank you very much.
On Sunday someone told me I didn't look 9 months pregnant.  I pointed to my feet (that now only fit in flip flops) and her eyes got big and she said, "oh...but yes, your feet look 9 months pregnant."  My feet, hands, face, and thighs do tend to compensate for my smaller belly.  Although the belly looks and feels plenty big to me.
I was so hoping to go into labor on my own.  I've only been induced with Kassie, but it was a long, drawn-out process that I didn't want to repeat.  Alas, I don't think this baby got the memo.  At the doctor yesterday there had been no progress from the week before (abnormal for me), so he offered to induce me on Monday.  I would have gone ahead and waited another week...but my mom is coming into town on Friday.  She's only here for a week.  I need her here while I'm in the hospital.  She will not be going home without seeing grandchild #17.  Monday it is.

There was a relief and a slight panic that came with the induction being scheduled.  I am well aware that my due date is Friday, but in these last painful weeks I can never shake the feeling that the pregnancy will last forever.  You feel like you're in limbo.  I don't commit myself to anything for fear that I'll go into labor, but when another day comes and I'm "still around" I start to feel like that will never change.  But having an end date...a REAL end date...every time my feet feel like they're about to pop, or my sciatic nerve sends a sharp pain down my leg, or a contraction makes me practice deep breathing, or I chew on yet another Tums...I can remind myself that in less than a week that will all be gone.

But in less than a week, there will be something else.  We'll have a sweet new baby.  Am I ready for that?  Do we have everything we need?  What am I forgetting?  I know I'm forgetting something.  I walked out to the shed the other day to get the bassinet.  While I was digging for it I came across the infant carseat.  I stared at it for a minute before I realized, "Oh yah...I need to wash that and have it ready before we go to the hospital."  You would think that 5 babies later I would have this down to a science.  Nope, pretty sure instead I've just lost my mind.

I have a feeling that when baby girl arrives it will all come back to me.  I look forward to that.  I'm so glad Ed is here and not still deployed.  I have hope that we'll be able to get a sense of who she is quickly and finally decide on a name.  I look forward to seeing the girls bond with her and love her.  They are so excited.  I know it will be more hectic having 5 kids, and I'm pretty terrified of figuring out how to deal with crazy Kassie and a newborn...but I also remember the wonderful spirit and love a new baby can bring into a home.

Monday.  Bring it on.

6 comments:

LA Law said...

GOOD LUCK!

Monique Jensen said...

I agree your feet do look 9 months prego--not your belly. You can tell there is something in there though. Good luck with your new little one. We are still at 3. Can't even imagine having another one in the mix.

Jamie Lamb said...

I know how you feel heading into an induction--I was induced with Ivy, and I was sooo nervous! The lady checking me into the hospital got this knowing look on her face and asked if it was my first baby. When I told her it was my FOURTH she was so confused as to why I would be nervous! Hello...I know what's coming, lady!

Don't worry, you'll do great! I'll be praying for you!

Sue said...

Yay for babies! Good luck on Monday. I'm glad your mom will be there to help out a bit. So excited to see pictures and hear what you name her. Hope the adjustment of everything new goes well and that the kids all behave wonderfully for you. (when I say kids, I really just mean Kassie. Not that I know anything first hand, but you're the one who mentioned that Nate reminds you of her...good luck)

Lys said...

Good luck! I hope your induction goes faster than the last time, and is super easy. Actually I hope that somebody gets on the ball in the next 24-48 hours and just comes on her own.

Rachel Law said...

We look forward to hearing the name and how the labor went! Thanks for your music selection at the bottom; it's all gold. Clearly you and I have similar tastes.