This summer obviously started out the exact opposite of how we planned. I had to give up the "lazy," laid-back days of taking care of a newborn that I had anticipated. In fact, in those first few weeks, I found myself needing to have something specific planned for each day so I would have a reason to get out of bed. You would think that 4 demanding little girls would be enough, but grief is a funny thing.
With that in mind, shortly after we got back from Idaho the Andersonettes and I held a planning meeting to make this a not-so-bummer summer (Ed didn't participate because, well let's face it, he IS having a bummer summer at work). I hate being busy and love unstructured time, so we planned 1 little activity each day with the hopes that I'd actually follow through. Here's how it's gone so far:
Monday is laundry day, which means we have to be home all day. So we added piano lessons to that day. Doesn't sound so fun, but the girls are loving piano lessons right now, and if I don't schedule it, it won't happen. I think they like the one-on-one mom time. Krista started lessons and can't wait for me to teach her more.
Tuesday is our big day - field trip day! This is made possible because our good friend Andrea planned all the field trips. First up was the Museum of Discovery, followed by the Mid-America Science Museum. The best part of the field trips is all the friends that come along!
Wednesday is library day (so far the favorite summer authors are Kate Dicamillo, Roald Dahl and Dr. Seuss) and craft day. Kimberlee and Keira specifically asked to learn to sew, so our first craft was hand-stitching a bean bag.
This Tuesday we couldn't go to the planned field trip (a waterpark), so instead we went by ourselves to Indian Lakes (which is awesome because it is only 5 minutes from home).
Kimberlee spent the afternoon doing flips off the diving board.
Krista was just minding her own business, but every time I'd look over at her she had attracted another little friend.
Thursday is grocery shopping. Again, doesn't sound so fun, but the girls help me write the list, check off items, and compare prices. All the retirees flirt with them, and sometimes I even let them pick a treat. Everybody's happy. That afternoon Keira also has book club, again thanks to that same wonderful Andrea.
Friday is cooking day. Maybe "cooking" is too strong a word. There was no cooking involved in this particular recipe. Just measuring, mixing and rolling.
Keira looks disgusted because of the coconut...how can something I love so much be so gross to her?!
Ta da!! No-Bake Energy Bites (from here). A definite hit (even Keira asked for more).
So far this is working for us. I don't need these activities to get out of bed anymore (in fact, I'm doing really well right now, thanks for asking), but I think we'll keep this up for a while. Maybe we'll even switch it up a little...like have movie day, or bowling day, or living room fort day, or puzzles and board games day...oh the possibilities!
8 comments:
I have been wanting to tell you my heart is broken with you and send my condolences but everyone I tried, I couldn't find the right words. But you are in my thoughts and I am glad your summer is going so well so far!
You are not allowed to have so much fun without me! Well, you are but I just had to add my two cents. Miss you guys so much, wish our summers could criss cross. I'm glad you guys are having a good time so far!
That does all sound fun. I wish we lived closer and we'd party with you. Allie wishes she had a more fun mom. She is always begging to do stuff like that. I just send her out the door and tell her to find a friend...a lot less cool than going to the lake!
Next time you're in town, we need to get together and let our girls play :)
The Andersonettes - brilliant!
I'm glad you are adjusting to your new "normal". Sounds like a fun summer to me! You're a fun mom for sure and great idea to help you get out of bed each day!
I might have to take your ideas and plan a Nickelette schedule. This is Savana's last summer before the big K I dread the weeks as they fly by I am not ready to loose her, what am I getting at...we are still boring and we spend days dinking around instead of planning. It is sad when they ask if I am going to the base so Dad will play and do adventures. You have inspired me!
Post a Comment