Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

2014 (or, Ch-ch-ch-changes)

Kassie bringing in the new year

What a difference a year makes.  Last year at this time I was anxious and grumpy and counting down the minutes until the year would finally be over.  2012 had been tough for us and I was happy to see it go.  The end of 2013 brought different feelings.  Gratitude.  Contentment with where we are.  Excitement for what is to come.  I felt like ending the year with a rousing rendition of "Que Sera Sera" but my girls would have rolled their eyes and said, "Mo-o-om, stop!"  Here is a glimpse into our 2014.

First off, as you should all know already, we are expecting another baby.  I'm due July 1st and am 15 weeks along.  I've gotten lots of questions, the most common one being, "How are you feeling...no really, how are you feeling about this?"  Physically, I'm sick and tired and in pain.  Pregnancy has definitely been harder each time.  Seriously friends, have babies while you're young, if possible.  But I know that's not really what they're asking.  Let me tell you a little story.  Once upon a time, in October, I took a pregnancy test.  Funny thing though, the test came back positive, and my reaction... was to have a panic attack.  My first thoughts were "what have we done???" and "I can't do this."  Not the most positive, peaceful reaction I had been anticipating to finding out about another baby.  But I told Ed, and his response was to genuinely smile and say, "Yay!"  I truly married the best.

Still, I couldn't shake the dread and anxiety that hounded me.  I didn't want to tell anyone our news because I just wasn't ready for their comments, positive or otherwise.  It didn't help that I got sick immediately after I took the test - normally I have a few weeks before that starts.  I went on like this for a couple weeks, putting on a happy face and trying to keep up with all that was needed from me, but I spent most of November in bed.

Then came the day of my first appointment.  I wasn't looking forward to that either - going back to the same hospital, seeing the same doctor.  I didn't know what to expect...but Dr. Chang was so nice.  So calming.  I was able to relax and smile, while also being reassured.  The anxiety was leaving.  And then he did an ultrasound.  And I realized that in all my anxiety about having a baby I had forgotten that I was going to have a baby.  There was a baby's little face, a baby's little hands and feet, a baby's heartbeat.  Everything was going to be okay.  I know all sorts of things can still go wrong (believe me, I know), but everything will still be okay.

So, that was a really long answer to what should be a simple question.  Sorry.  What else will be happening this year?

Kimberlee is turning 12.  Holy moly, Young Womens, here we come.  That will include activities and Personal Progress and YW camp and temple trips.  She'll also finish middle school and start Jr. High.  Did I say holy moly already?

Keira will hit double digits and move on to Middle School.  I think that's enough excitement for one girl.

Krista will be baptized this year!  Kassie is so jealous - she thinks 4 is the perfect age to get baptized.  Krista will be the lone Andersonette at the elementary school in the fall.  Goodness, that makes her seem older to me.

Kassie's plans for the year are a little hazy - another year of preschool maybe?  Soccer in the fall?  Who knows, the world is her oyster.

Ed has the biggest changes of all coming.  On New Year's Eve he submitted his paperwork to separate from active duty military.  He should be out in July.  He was offered a job in the reserve squadron at Scott AFB (near St. Louis) flying the C-40 - yay!!!!!  That is a part-time position, and his goal is to get an airline job on top of it.  He finished his ATP certification, so applying to various airlines is now in full-swing.  For now we are not moving anywhere - Ed will commute until we can figure out where we're supposed to be.  In the meantime they just told him they are moving him to a pretty heavy position for his last 6 months at work.  He never ceases to amaze me.

So there you go, our 2014 from this side of things.  Bring it on.

4 comments:

rachel garber said...

Your girls are getting so old it baffles me. Still as gorgeous as ever though!

I'll maybe pick up The Book Thief at some point again. Everybody seems to love it but I'm really not in the mood to cry through the last forty pages.

Yes, I would tackle Keira's primary class and put them in line :) I have no tolerance for bratty children. At. All.

Unknown said...

I know you aren't making any decisions about where you guys will based out out of until that second job is found, but let us know if you come up and visit SAFB or if you guys have ANY questions about the area.

Tina - Ball Team Co-Captain said...

Andersonette...that's good!

Unknown said...

I read this a long time ago but I will leave a comment from reading it again. Grandpa and I am so happy for you to be having another baby. We are so proud of the babies you already have and know this will be another amazing bundle of joy. Proud of Ed and pray that he will find what he is hoping for. Excited for Kimberlee to be headed into Young Womens and I agree - holy moly where have the years gone? She's ready though! Anxious to come and see you all - twice? Hope so anyway. Love you much - you are amazing!