Nancy invited us for one last party in Kansas before they move. We're even closer to them now than we were before...too bad they're ditching us for the promised land (Idaho). We have been so lucky to spend only 1 Thanksgiving (in 2003) out of 14 together at our own home. Family and friends have been so good to us. As a result, I have no idea how to cook a turkey, so...if we ever invite you to Thanksgiving dinner go ahead and plan on bringing the bird.
Thursday morning we got up bright and early for our drive and made it in really good time ("good time" meaning we arrived just in time for the yummy meal). The kids' table:
The other kids' table
As I said, it was yummy.Afterwards everyone got to playin'. That's what cousins are for, right?
On Friday there was an impromptu violin lesson,
a little shopping (not Black Friday shopping, just easy-going Goodwill shopping), and then a little hike to a waterfall.
I have no doubt in the spring there is a waterfall, but at the end of November it is a trickle into an icy pond. The kids had a good time throwing rocks and sticks trying to break up the ice, and getting muddy. The weather was perfect for it.
Later that night was a Christmas parade. Saturday morning was spent packing up while the kids made obstacle courses in the backyard.Then we took off for Topeka to celebrate Miles. He turned 3 and wanted to party with a certain large rodent!
So party we did.
Fun was had by all. Even this super-cool 12-year-old.And then it was time to head home. On the way we veered off-course a little bit to visit some church history sites in Independence, MO. The LDS visitor's center there is beautifully done. We took a tour, and saw an original Book of Mormon, and then climbed the hill to the temple lot.
I've wanted to see this building since Bro. Baugh's Doctrine & Covenants class during Fall semester 1999 at BYU. I'm still not sure why it fascinates me so. I'm sure poor Ed was re-thinking his gift of a smartphone to me when I spent most of the rest of the way home reading the beliefs of the Community of Christ church out loud to him. Just very interesting.
We didn't make it to Liberty because it was getting late. Another trip for another time.
Thanks again Nancy! We had the best time!


.jpg)








2 comments:
Just now reading your blog. Awesome trip. Didn't know about the church sites. How wonderful!!!
Looks like you guys had a great holiday!!!!
Post a Comment