Pages

Monday, July 23, 2007

Typhoon Man-Yi

We experienced our first typhoon a week and a half ago. Very interesting! We never lost power and had absolutely no damage around us, but the rest of the base and island were not as lucky. There were a lot of downed trees, damaged buildings and many lost power for up to 16 hours. It was the worst typhoon the island has had since 2003, but winds only reached 107 mph on Kadena - the eye missed us by about 25 miles. We felt very safe - have I mentioned how much I love our concrete bunker of a house?

Anyway, here are the videos - don't pay attention to what I'm saying in them. I took about 5 different videos and these are the two that were closest to how the winds looked at their peak.

(And for those who are wondering, we felt nothing from the earthquakes a couple days ago - in fact we had to find out about them from people back in the states!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are some pretty crazy videos! I bet it was crazier in real life. Do you know what Yan-Mi means?

Jody Carson said...

I wonder how strong the winds would have to be to move your vehicles?