
Please tell me I'm not the only one who has days like these - you know, the days where you feel like your sole purpose in life is to act as referee. Sorry for the scary picture. Those perfectly-shaped teeth marks embedded in Keira's skin came from the snappy little mouth of Krista. She tends to do that when she gets mad. She got me good about a week ago, just because I wouldn't let her drown in the ocean. I think the source of this unfortunate incident was a toy shopping cart. Not too long ago a friend posted a similar incident on her blog and asked for advice...I think I even gave some. But now I'm all out of answers. This isn't just going away! Thankfully she has kept her chompers pointed at her own family - no strangers have suffered her wrath...yet. I tend to blame this habit of hers on Ed's side of the family - according to the stories I've heard, his younger brother got kicked out of daycare for biting (love ya Drew!). Then again, he turned out pretty well, so I guess there is hope. In the meantime, everyone has fair warning not to mess with Krista!
Sidenote: does the fact that I made Keira pose for this picture even while she was in horrible pain make me the worst mother in the world?
14 comments:
Oh!! My Keira!! :( Wow, Krista. Those are some nice chompers ya got. We had a little biting problem, but it quickly went away after I told me kids to bite the child back who first bit them. It worked like a charm. My sister-in-law would bite her kid if they bit somebody else, but I thought that was a little odd. At first I was worried about the kids who where retaliating, BUT they never bit as hard as they had just been bitten. I wonder why that was? Hmmm.........
Poor Keira! Dayton just bit Thomas the other night playing. I don't think he has realized his teeth can be used as a weapon..yet.
Love the new beach picture that tops the blog. Looks like heaven. Then the bite mark... oops, guess we're still on earth! You are correct, Drew was kicked out of Beautiful Saviour Lutheran daycare for biting 18 times in one day. He was almost exactly the same age as Krista. I went to pick him up and was told to never bring him back! Apparently he turned from a biter to a charmer as his peers voted him onto the All-Star teams as a youth, Liberty Elem school vice pres, Class Officer at Les Bois Jr Hi and Timberline High Vice Pres. He has never bit any of his missionary companions and is now married to a beautiful woman who loves him. There is hope for biters!!
You know what I had to do to get Michael to stop biting after he came home from China? Bite him back. I know it's horrible but once he realized what it felt like to be bit, he stopped. It's probably because it's Krista's way of expressing herself. She'll grow out of it, especially when you start chomping back (not super hard, just a little hard).
I love the advice to bite back. Sounds like it works. Cute blog background!
You have awful, awful children. I blame Ed as well. I think all of my kids have bit at one point, often while I'm nursing them. Ouch! I have never heard to bite them back, but tell me if it works. Now I'm hoping Mitchell will start biting so I can try it too. I have a lot of residual anger.
It really depends. Lizzy bit a couple times until we bit her back. Katie on the other hand does it so few and far between that I think she forgets what it was like to get bit. It cures her for a while when I bite her back. Then she forgets. I think Junior has done it once. I bit him too. It does work. And yes...you are a horrible mother making her pose in her pain. Just kidding.
Hi! Yes, I believe it was my post about my little chomper, Scott, that you gave advice on. I really feel for you. I certainly hope it's just a phase for both of our little ones! Poor Keira!
Ouch! All three of my mine have been biters and I have the scars to prove it. We found that soap was very effective.
We tried patiently with time outs, explaining, etc... but when they kept biting, and biting to the point of blood shed we got a little bit desperate. We had them bite into a bar of soap (the yuckier the better, how do you know if it is gross--if says "anti-bacterial"). And we did not let them wash it out... they had to sit there and foam at the mouth.
I know it sounds gross, but it stopped them from biting people instantly. Two of them seem to chew on other things constantly (their shirts, car seats, beds... we are trying to slowly break those habits). If you have not yet tried this, hopefully it will work for you, too.
Cute family even with the biting.
I always love the pictures you put at the top of your blog! They're just perfect!
Well that's just *great* MaryAnn! I finally get over my insane fear of bears and you go and post that little comment on my blog! We're camping in Denali and now I'm more sure than ever I'm going to die since it's trailess . . . I have a feeling there will be very little sleeping for me that week and a lot of high blood pressure. However, once I survive, I will tell you all about it!
My grandma told me when she was a kid a neighbor kid bit her and she bit them right back. That neighbor kid's parent came over to thank her later because it got rid of the biting. Sounds horrible though.
Oh it is so good to know I am not the only one with a biter! Ryn is very much a biter lately and it drives me nuts! Hopefully it's just a stage, hope she's okay!
Post a Comment