My mind, that is.
I used to have a remarkable memory. I could recall meaningless dates and places and names. All pointless, but I was quite proud of it. Well, not anymore. I just signed up at LDSJournal.com, and one of the tools on there helps you compile a personal history. Due to aging/children/my current cold that is sapping all brain function, my memory is shot, so I need your help. I have seen this on quite a few blogs and would love to get your comments on it!
Here it is:
1. As a comment on my blog, leave one memory that you and I had together. It doesn't matter if you knew me a little or a lot, anything you remember!
2. Next, re-post these instructions on your blog and see how many people leave a memory about you. If you leave a memory about me, I'll assume you're playing the game and I'll come to your blog and leave one about you. If you don't want to play on your blog, or if you don't have a blog, I'll leave my memory of you in my comments.
8 comments:
Oh MaryAnn, there are so many memories that I could post aren't there? I think I'll write about when we first met. I remember that I'd jut gotten back from a long trip to Utah. I had been invited to a luncheon at Candace's home, and wasn't sure I'd go. I finally decided that I would, and I showed up. there were quite a few ladies I didn't know, and you were one of them. I kept to myself for the most part, but finally sat down near you. I can't remember if I started the conversation, but I know I was talking to you about the adorable 5 month old baby wiggling around on the floor in front of you. I soon discovered that you had two other daughters that were close in age to my own kids. I was so excited about that, new friends for my kids. We talked for a little while longer, and I ended up leaving with your phone number. After getting home I decided I had to get to know you better, so I called and invited you and your family to dinner. Of course the rest is history, and we are great friends now. I'm so glad that I decided to go to that lunch. You've been such a wonderful friend, and I am truly blessed to know you. Our kids get along so well, and they are better for it! I hope this helps! I have this same kind of post on my blog, it's just down the page a little ways! I hope you and the girls feel better soon, it stinks to be sick!
Angie
Hi MaryAnn,
My memory of you was actually before I even knew you very well. We were at the Melins for a 4th of July backyard get-together at Laughlin. Kimberlee was a tiny baby and you were holding her as you were sitting a table. I remember thinking that Kimberlee looked so small and fragile, and since this was before we had kids, the whole concept of holding a baby was foreign to me. I just remember thinking to myself that you were such a sweet and caring mom and I could see all the love you had for little Kimberlee just by the way you were holding her and looking at her. You probably don't even remember that moment, but I do and you were an example to me of what a great mom should be!
Hi,
Well, I don't know you really well, but I wish I did! We have gone out to dinner at least once and you and Ed came to our wedding reception. James has always talked highly of you and Ed. I'm so glad that James and Ed are good friends. Hopefully one day....We'll be stationed near eachother so I can get to know you better. It has been fun getting to know you and your family through your blog and christmas cards. James always jokes that since you have girls and we have boys maybe one day they will get married! :0) Your family is so cute and you are the sweetest person! I hope you get over your cold soon!
MaryAnn, I remember the time we came to visit you in Texas and we all stayed in the timeshare on South Padre Island. We visited the beach and swam in the Gulf of Mexico everyday. The water was brown and murky. The slope was very gradual and it seemed we were out in the water a long ways when the water was only up to our shoulders. At night when we would watch TV they were have commercials and movies starring JAWS. Pretty soon, we were getting shy about going out in the water for fear of JAWS. Then it happened, some fish started to buzz our legs, and we were running out of that water!!
Have you had any fish buzz your legs in Okinawa?
MaryAnn, I am sorry to say that I have blocked out many things about Del Rio! I don't even remember when I first met you! I am sure it was in church. I do remember thinking you were one of the most patient people I have ever met and that you were one of those people who always had something nice to say about someone else. Two qualities that I am always working on! :-)
Oh, man! So many of my memories from childhood involve you and your family. Hmmm... were should I start...
Well, the first memory that comes to mind is when we (I may have been trying to teach you) were doing "cherry drops" from my grandparent's tree in the front yard. We would hang upside down and swing until we would flip off. Well you landed wrong on your arm and hurt it... I was so certain that you had broken it, you had to keep it wrapped up and in a sling for a few days.
Next, memory climbing up to the "splits" in the pine tree in your family's front yard. I loved climbing up that tree because you could see forever from the top. The only problem was coming back down because you would have to drop onto the hard, pine-needle covered ground below (and because I never would wear shoes) it would hurt so badly.
I remember sun bathing on the concrete portion of the shed in your backyard, and making waves in the ditch on the left side of your home.
I remember helping you pull weeds in your garden, and picking cherries in my grandparent's orchard.
I remember your family came over one Monday for a baseball game/family home evening. The teams were easy because our families matched up so well. (I do not remember who won, so it was probably your family because I am so competitive... I would remember if I won.)
I remember being a little bit concerned about your father because he would always ask, "So little boy, how are you?" I seriously thought that know matter how many times I told him I was a little girl, not a boy, that he could not remember.
I remember your mother's homemade sponge cake with frosting on it. Mmm, good stuff.
I remember playing house inside of the van in your back yard. The van did not have any chairs, but it did have a bunch of cushions... and possibly a mattress. It was not the van your family would drive, but a different one.
I remember your family's green sports car. I thought that car was so cool and very fast.
I remember locking ourselves up in the trunk of my dad's gold car because you could unlock it from the inside. (I wonder who the first to figure that out was.)
I remember swimming in the pond on our farm and catching tadpoles.
I remember you had a ton... A TON of dress up jewelry in a musical box... oh, man I coveted that so much. :o)
I remember making bread at your house one time during joy school and putting peanut butter on the bread. (Your family had a HUGE can of peanut butter, I thought that was so cool.)
I remember one year for Christmas everyone in your family received a box of sugar cereal in your stockings and some life savers... and you shared them with me. (That really made my day.)
I remember for my five year old birthday party, you gave me the biggest box of homemade chocolate chip cookies that I had ever seen.
I remember the enormous white grand (probably actually a baby grand, but I thought it was a grand) piano in your front living room. Sometimes we would lay in the sun rays under it and read books.
I remember trying to climb up the side of your house, and I slipped and a nail went into my knee.
I remember the huge icicle (I think it typically would go all the way to the ground) that was always on the back eve of your home in the winter.
I remember sitting in the V-shaped flowering tree in your front yard and pretending that we were princesses.
I remember watching Looney Tunes on your family's black and white TV. Our families received a VHS player the same year for Christmas and your family received a TV that same year.
I remember being so scared of the Reynold's dogs anytime I would go over to your house.
I remember the time that I thought you were mad at me, and you thought I was mad at you... so we both decided to run away from home and (because we did not know any better) we ran away towards each other's homes, so we had to pass each other on opposite sides of the street. Kelly came out to talk to you and Irene came out to talk to me and explain that no one was actually mad.
I remember touching a electric, barbed-wire fence with you.
I remember one time I got in trouble with my grandmother and I was so embarrassed because you were there, and you never got into trouble. :o)
I remember your family would often have the Mormon Tabernacle Choir playing on the radio/cassette.
I remember in Young Women's really enjoying listening to you play the piano prelude.
Also, I always thought you were so beautiful and I secretly wished my hair would grow as long as yours (it possibly would... if I had enough patience to let it).
And I remember missing you so much when your family moved, SO FAR away. ;o) (It was at least, what, six miles.)
You are a great friend... my first best friend. I am so glad that we had all of those years to play together. I have always and will always look up to you. Thanks.
Honestly, and I know this is horrible, but my strongest memory of you is stopping by your house to say goodbye when we drove out of Del Rio and crying my eyes out. For some reason I hadn't thought you would be an emotional goodbye, we always just had fun, but boy was that a hard one for me!
I also remember practicing at your piano a couple times when you accompanied me one of the times I sang in church! I sure miss you, a lot! Wish we lived closer, maybe one day!
When I first met you I thought you looked just like Queen Amidala (Natalie Portman) from Star Wars. (You still do. Gorgeous!)
I also remember a few occasions when you played the piano in church. I was always so touched when you played, as if I was hearing you give your testimony. That doesn't always come through when I hear other people play, but it always did with you.
Love you bunches!
Hope all is well in Japan.
Post a Comment