Pages

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I'm all quirks

Sherrie has tagged me. Here are my 6 (of many) quirks:

1. I have been a nail-biter all my life. I have never been proud of this. In fact, I distinctly remember coming in from recess in 3rd grade and telling my friend that my little brother was the one that bit my nails. Yah, 3rd graders aren't that stupid...

2. I think I have something called Temporomandibular Joint Disorder. Or, to the layman, jaw pain. It has made for some messy meals, as I can't always open my jaw very wide. According to some web site, it is exacerbated by chewing gum, clenching the jaw, grinding teeth, and biting nails - my nails have never looked better.

3. I feel like I have to make everything the same for all of my children. I made a cross-stitch baby sampler for Kimberlee...all the girls now have the same sampler. Kimberlee had pictures taken at certain ages, the other two followed suit. And if Kimberlee didn't have it (like the baby calendar I wanted to do for her), the other two can't either. Sad.

4. If I find a story even remotely interesting, I can't stop reading it. By that I mean my children will be neglected, the house will be in shambles, sometimes I will forgo a shower in order to keep reading the book. It's a sickness. Harry Potter and Twilight were not so good for my family.

5. I have a hard time committing myself to projects or to attending events. It's not because I don't want to do them or I don't like who is asking me to go somewhere. I have three children and a husband who doesn't know his schedule more than 12 hours in advance (and often it's minute to minute), and I have an intense dislike of finding babysitters. If I can take my kids, I'm all in. Otherwise, I'll go if Ed will be home.

6. I only drink milk along with a few certain foods, and never by itself. It is passable for cereal, cookies (or anything with chocolate), pancakes, and stew (Ed gives me a really hard time for that one). Otherwise, milk is generally useless as a beverage.

I tag Irene, Angie, Rachel (I know how much you LOVE tags, but seriously, you need to update your blog!), Tammi, Nancy, and Terese.

8 comments:

Sherrie Batty said...

Thanks for filling out the questions. I love reading your blog, it feels like I'm still your neighbor.

Grandma and Bonka said...

I share the same book quirk. Sometimes I don't even get out of bed and dressed until the book is finished.

Anonymous said...

You would have quit biting your nails if you had heard my Grandma's lie as a kid. I understand the TMJ...I'm in the same boat. I do the same with my kids...if Lizzy had it, the others did too. I completely neglect my kids for a great book too. I won't go to activities unless I can take my kids. I hate getting a babysitter mostly because I'm cheap. I completely disagree with the milk though...I could drink it at any moment, with anything (or by itself). Other than that...we're a little too much alike. I guess it runs in the family.

Jax said...

Hey, MaryAnn:

Hope you're doing well. I was just stopping by, checking some friends' blogs. I have TMJ, too. It started after I got my wisdom teeth out in 2000, and it eventually led to some bad wearing down of my teeth. Last year I finally went to a specialist and have had braces and a special night guard since then. The braces come off in a couple of months (thanks goodness!), and my symptoms are much better now. Thought you might find that interesting.

Oh, and I hate finding babysitters, too! Thankfully we found a good regular one we can trust.

Take care,

Jax

Anonymous said...

Whoa, wait a minute, am I the Rachel you tagged? Does the fact that I updated my blog with baby announcements get me off the hook?

First of all, if you'd told me that Boyd bites your nails I'd believe you. I swear he chews his nails in his sleep.

Secondly, the milk thing must run in your family. Before Boyd married me he pretty much never drank milk. In my family we drank milk CONSTANTLY and rarely ever drank water. I'm proud to say that Boyd is now a milk drinker. So much so that when I buy milk at the grocery store people have actually made some rude comments about how many gallons are in my shopping cart. To which I respond, "Deal with it people! You'll be sorry when you have an osteoperosis hump on your back and I'm still standing straight. Take that! Bwa ha ha ha ha......" Okay, I don't say that to them, but I sure think it.

Lu said...

I loved reading about you! Sadly, I am exactly the same way with reading a good book and neglecting my kids but atleast we are teaching them to love reading right? I'm also a big time nail biter but so is Doug. We once had a competition to see if we could quit. I think we both lasted two weeks. There should be a nail-biters rehab of some sort.

Mary Peterson said...

Cool tag! I am with you on the good book one. I read all of the Twilight series in just over a week. My poor family...the books were great though.

Jody Carson said...

Drink milk with stew is definitely a quirk! But we still love you!