Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

End of School Year Fun

The school year is definitely winding down. The days are hot, there's not as much homework...we are slowly moving into lazy summer days. But before we can do that, we have to have end-of-year performances and parties!

Kimberlee (and the rest of the 1st grade classes at her school) performed a "Silly Songs" concert for the other grades and the parents. Kimberlee is in the front row in the turquoise shirt (between 2 red shirts), and she was serious about singing. The poor boy on her left wasn't quite as in to it, and often got pushed behind Kimmee as she acted out the songs. I'm still amazed that the girl will perform without hesitation. Is she really my kid?

Kimberlee has had a great 1st grade year. I am sooooo glad we put her in the JPI (Japanese Partial Immersion) program - she has the best teacher and a great class, and has learned a lot about Japan along the way. She should continue in the program next year (along with a lot of her class), and is looking forward to the summer culture program we signed up for this summer. 2 1/2 weeks and she'll be done!

Keira, on the other hand, IS done! She officially graduated from preschool last week and is ready to move up to the big world of Kindergarten! We all went to Kuwae Preschool to watch her sing songs and get her certificate.

Singing "Tiny Tim" (if you know the song, this is when the bubbles pop) - Keira is in the pink dress on the far left and is obviously really excited about this song.

Getting her certificate, culture folder, and goody bag.

We LOVED Keira's teachers, Mrs. Vroman and Kaori-san. I don't think Keira quite understands yet that she won't be seeing them anymore. So sad! I'm so glad Keira had the opportunity to go to Kuwae. I think it's one of the big reasons she is reading (yes, reading!), and confident, and so excited to go to school in the fall. Plus she learned a little Japanese, and made some cute friends. We're sad to see it end, but Keira is definitely ready for Kindergarten!

2 comments:

lori parkhurst said...

I guess I didn't realize that your little kiera is Oakley's age. Fun that she starts kindergarten too!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what's that like having your babies starting school? I'm living in terror of it and looking forward to it at the same time.