Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Okinawa Memory Quilt
Seven months ago I did the unthinkable and agreed to be in charge of a group making Okinawa Memory quilt squares. Why so unthinkable? Let's see, mostly because I don't sew. The last thing I had sewn before I started this group was a bean bag in Jr. High Home Ec. (since then I did sew - by hand - my girls' super cute aprons for Christmas, thanks to my friend Desiree - good practice for this group). Yet I somehow was convinced that not only could I do this, but I could help others do it at the same time. The idea was I would get together a group of 20 women. We would then each choose something we loved about Okinawa/Japan/something we could easily sew, then create a pattern for that object. We would make 20 of the same square, then when everyone was finished we would exchange squares, and end up with 20 different squares commemorating our time living here. Many tears, much stress and drama, and even a few scars later, we are done. I still don't own, or know how to use, a sewing machine, but something beautiful was created. See for yourself:
Hibiscus
Whale shark
3 Tears Symbol (this symbol is found on the Okinawan flag and tells the story of a brave samurai - it symbolizes courage...I need to look up the story again)
Bat (huge and all over Okinawa)
Lantern
Gecko (again, all over the place here)
Geta shoes
Map of Okinawa (including various U.S. bases on the island)
Bonsai Tree
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I'm proud of you. What a lot of work. A wonderful keepsake for your whole family.
Very well done! You did a FANTASTIC job leading your group (not an easy task!). Several of the squares are just breathtaking! Well done!
They are beautiful. It's not too hard to put them together into a quilt. It will be a wonderful keepsake when you are done.
Those are totally awesome!
WONDERFUL!
Wow, that is really cool. No really, that is REALLY cool.
Can you get everyone to make an extra square so I can have a quilt too!!! I don't sew either, and I am EXTREMELY impressed!
They all turned out great. It makes me tempted to join the next group (if there is one). Your fan is beautiful.
Your squares turned out great. Now, arrange them how you want and stitch them together! I'd almost be tempted to frame them individually and put them on your wall though they look so good!
I'm totally impressed with your fan square. And you claim you can't sew...
I love them all! I so wish I could have done that before I left. I will just have to enjoy your beautiful pictures ☺
Post a Comment