Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hobbies

It seems like for a majority of our Air Force life, things have been busy. Ed's schedule has been full of long days, uncertainty (never knowing when he'll fly or be home), and last-minute trips. Throw in demanding church callings, getting a master's degree, the girls getting involved in various activities, and the never-ending cycle of preparing to move, moving, and recovering from a move...and it seems like we've always had plenty to occupy our time.

Fast forward to today, and we are suddenly in a weird position. We are mostly settled from our move. We have callings, but they aren't terribly demanding. Kimberlee is the only one of the girls involved in an outside activity. And Ed's schedule...has been very laid-back. Which means we've all been able to find new ways to keep ourselves busy.

Kassie learns new tricks all the time, but her latest one is keeping me on my toes. She insists on feeding herself.

Krista has been asking to do gymnastics, but we live quite a ways outside of town. I'm not quite ready to devote my time to driving again, so I bought her a little ballet class DVD instead. She works on it almost every day and I can often hear her telling someone what her ballet teacher has taught her.This isn't going to help her become a world-class ballerina by any means, but it's a nice distraction.We planted a little herb garden. The plan was to plant a "real" garden, but we haven't gotten that ambitious yet. Besides, we did plant some peppers, and the birds immediately ate them. Any tips for keeping birds out of your garden?

We are finally doing regular piano lessons (as in, I'm teaching the older 2 girls). I have been meaning to do that since Kimberlee turned 5, but alas, she didn't want to, and I didn't push it. Now I have Keira to remind me about lessons, and they are both practicing. It's fabulous! I only hope we can keep it up.

Remember how I mentioned that Ed was shopping for a boat? Well, he found one! Hopefully it will take it's maiden voyage (well, with the Andersons anyway) this weekend. It was 90 degrees yesterday - sounds like summer to me!
Is this the calm before the storm? Maybe. But we're grateful for this little respite, this time to regroup. Our time to stop and smell the roses. Hmmm, maybe we should plant some roses!

5 comments:

Amy K said...

We had birds eating the corn in the cornfield where I worked and to keep that from happening they put loud cannons in the field that would go off every 15 minutes or so...and they had some people work in the early early morning just to run at the birds and make them fly away. (: Silly.

Amy K said...

Oh and if it makes you feel any better, we planted some indoor plants and it was a fail so don't feel too bad. I never knew you could fail at planting indoors.

rylissite said...

Okay, so, you are so brave! I haven't even thought of handing Davin the controls to his own feeding yet! I think that is so adorable! I can't believe Krista is old enough to be trying ballet, and I love the boat! I want to go in the boat with you! We so need to get together and play!

Grandma A said...

Love the red color of the boat. Can't wait to go on a boatride with you!

Boyd Family said...

What fun!! It looks like you'll surely enjoy your time there, at least during the summers!!