Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Of Bellies, Birthdays, Bs, and Blessings

I feel compelled to blog.  No excuses for why it's been so long, we're just going to jump right in.

Bellies:

32 weeks today.  I don't know if it's because this is my fifth, or because I'm exhausted from the other 4 (mostly Kassie), but my body is starting to rebel.  Pain...lots of pain.  I feel like I'm 39 weeks instead of 32.  My feet swelled last night for the first time (awesome), I've downed several containers of Tums, and the girls are a little tired of hearing "Mommy HAS to lay down right now to make these Braxton-Hicks go away."
But now that I've complained, let me tell you what's wonderful about this pregnancy: all is well.  This baby is extremely active, always giving me reassuring kicks to tell me she's fine.  The girls have been able to feel her kick and think it's hilarious.  They are quite excited about another little sister.  Besides being slightly anemic I've had no "problems" at all.  I'm so grateful for a body that can go through pregnancy without any complications.

Birthdays:

Ed's birthday was Wednesday.  We obviously wish he could have been here with us, but we will celebrate when he gets back...which should be soon!  Like, next-week-soon.  I'm already starting to breathe a little easier.  Kimberlee's birthday is Sunday, and she has decided to forego most of her celebrations until Daddy gets back as well.

Bs:
We have a video of Kimberlee when she was around Kassie's age.  She had a huge book of animals drawn by Eric Carle, and she would flip through that book and name every one (including porcupine, yak and narwhal).  She still has a thing for animals.  Well Kassie's major obsession is letters.  She recognizes all 26 of them, can tell you many of their sounds, and often gives a word for the letter as well (a...apple tree).
 This is something she surprised us with.  We got her a LeapFrog letter magnet for her birthday, and she watches ABC videos my mom made...I guess I just didn't realize she took any of it in until she started pointing out the letters to me on the computer keyboard.  Now she pretends to write them as well, saying "slant down...across...curve around" while scribbling little circles (Mom, those ABC videos are gold - I may need you to copy them again because Kassie has just about worn them out).

Blessings:
I have been pretty cranky with my girls lately and that is not how I want to finish off this deployment.  In order to change my attitude it is time to count some blessings.  Please don't take this as bragging.  Believe me, I could go on and on about my children's bad qualities, but today, as we start Spring Break, I am trying to focus on some of their best.

Krista Mae is so good at finding things to do by herself.  The other three would be clamoring for attention and I would find her in her room quietly coloring...
 ...or in the dress-up box becoming a princess.
Or playing house with all her Littlest Pet Shop animals.  I'm so grateful for one little girl who can entertain herself so easily.

Keira wants so much to be good, she just doesn't always know how to go about it.  But she did surprise me the other day by cleaning the playroom all by herself without being asked (huge for Keira, who HATES cleaning).  She is the one who reminds me to do scriptures and Family Home Evening, and thanks to her diligence we haven't missed a day of either one the whole time Ed's been gone.  She is also the one most willing and eager to play with her sisters, which is often helpful when Kassie needs a distraction.

Kimberlee is entering the world of tweens.  Besides a little crush on Justin Beiber, so far that isn't a bad thing.  She seems to have started to feel the responsibility of being the oldest and has been the biggest helper while Ed is gone.  I play the organ during sacrament meeting and end up spending most of the time on the stand.  Kassie has never been one to let her sisters mother her, but when it comes to a choice of being taken care of by Kimberlee or a stranger she will always choose Kimberlee.  I have loved to watch that bond between them grow.  Kimberlee is so patient with her and has amazed me by being able to keep her in the chapel and quiet most of the time.  She also never grumbles when I ask her to do something - an awesome example for her sisters.

I just had parent-teacher conferences for these 3, and always appreciate being told that I have brilliant, kind, responsible children. 

Kassie, Kassie, Kassie.  Sigh.  Let's see...I am so grateful that Kassie is now sleeping in her own bed, and usually through the night.  It has improved our relationship ten-fold.  I am grateful for the exercise she gives me by making me chase her.  I am grateful that, for all the dangerous situations she gets herself into, she doesn't often get hurt.  I am grateful that at the exact moment I want to throw up my hands and scream she can make me laugh.  Like this moment this morning 5 minutes after I got her dressed.
This is a daily event.  All markers are being thrown away today.  Crazy, funny kid.

I love my monsters.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a cute video. Glad she enjoys the ABCs. Glad Ed will be home soon and that Keira and Kimberlee and Krista are being good helpers. Glad the new baby is doing good. Love you!

Sue said...

Kassie does have a pretty wild look in her eyes :)

I hope things continue to go smoothly with the pregnancy and that you all have a fun party when Ed gets home.

rachel garber said...

You are a rockstar for sure!

And Kimberly and I have the same birthday - that is fun. She looks aging a lot better than I am though :)

Grandma & Bonka said...

Loved the post. Can't wait to see you all.