Pages

Thursday, September 05, 2013

An excursion

Is it sad that we recently got back from a 3-week vacation only to feel like we still needed to "get away"?  Thursday night we realized we had a long weekend ahead of us for Labor Day.  We haven't been to the lake in a little while, but we knew the rest of Arkansas would be out there too, and fighting a million other boats just didn't sound fun.  We really wanted to avoid people...I guess we're kind of anti-social.  So we got online and found a hotel on top of a mountain.  Well, a "mountain" according to Arkansas standards.  Friday afternoon we set off for Mount Magazine State Park.
 
We stopped at an overlook on our way up the hill.
Our hotel - The Lodge at Mount Magazine.  It was supposedly completely full for the night, but we really felt like we had the place to ourselves.  It was lovely.
Our room was on the second floor above the pool.
See, there we are.
And this was our view.  Ed kept talking about how this is what he sees out of his office window all the time - and he's not kidding, this is how low he flies at times.
The girls thought the view was nice and all, but what they really love is hotel rooms.
The next morning...
...before it got too hot we took a little hike.
 
And we reached our goal - the highest point in Arkansas.  Ta da!
Afterwards we had the beautiful pool all to ourselves - another BIG plus for hotels according to our girls.
We drove home feeling a little more refreshed and ready to tackle another week.  Thank heavens for little get-aways.

2 comments:

Grandma and Bonka said...

The Anderson water babies. A wonderful labor day.

rachel garber said...

Holy smokes - your highest point is less than 3000 feet? I could be a marathoner in Arkansas! I will tell Garbs we must move right away, this 6600 foot thing is fool's game. We went hiking last week and it was something like 8400 feet and I thought I was going to die the first half an hour until I adjusted to it :) I'm so lame.