Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2016

July

You know, I knew this summer wouldn't be nearly as hectic as the last 2 have been (moving both years, driving across the country multiple times, changing jobs, schools, etc.), but that just means I wasn't prepared for the crazy that this summer would end up being anyway. Sigh. It's almost over. And hopefully my sanity will return. Until then, we must back up to July.

In July, we:

*did a lot of boating

*took a trip to Portland to see Boyd and Rachel and cousins!

I loved the drive along the Columbia River - so much more scenic than southern Idaho.
We stopped at Horsetail and Multnomah Falls on the way in.
Funny story, at the beginning of the trail to Multnomah, the sign said ".2 mi to the bridge overlook, 1.0 mi to the top of the falls" - we thought, "What the heck, let's hike to the top." Never mind that we were all wearing flip flops, we thought it would be no problem after being cooped up in the car for 6 hours. After we had been hiking for a little while, we saw a sign that said, "Switchback 2 of 11" followed shortly by a sign that said ".5 mi." That didn't make sense - no way were we halfway but only at switchback 2...but we hiked on. Our feet were getting blisters, the girls were getting whiny, they didn't count every switchback (there were more than 11)...but we hiked on. Around switchback 7 we saw a sign that said "1.0 mi."and all our gumption left us - we were nowhere near the top! So we turned around and hiked back down. You win, Multnomah. You and your lying signs.
The next morning we all braved the Portland traffic for the drive to Tillamook - Rachel said the cheese factory had a grilled cheese sandwich that wouldn't disappoint. It didn't.
And then we made our way to the beach.
I was walking down from the parking lot, seeing the waves and the trees and the rocks and the beach, and thinking, "yep, this is my happy place." I never remember how much I love and miss the ocean until I'm back on a beach.
Of course, being used to warm oceans (Texas, Jamaica, Okinawa, Florida), I knew the Oregon Coast would be cold and told the girls not to bother bringing their swim suits - I figured they'd dip their feet and be good. I was wrong. It's been weeks since our trip, and Kassie has still not forgiven me for not bringing her suit.
After our big beach day, we took it a little easier the next morning. We went to hike...I want to say Boyd called it Ponytail Falls. The hike brought us behind the falls - so fun!
All the cute cousins.
The trip was fantastic. We definitely want to go back...that is, if Boyd and Rachel will have us.

*We also continued to run, continued to read for the summer reading program (all the girls completed it!), went to birthday parties, a baby blessing, and a baby shower, hung out with family, went to church activities, continued piano lessons, etc. etc. etc.

In July, Ed:

*spent the 4th in Montana and enjoyed the fireworks

*was called as an Elder's Quorum Instructor. Perfect.

*went to The Met. Because, why not, he was in town.

*ended up in Anchorage, Alaska for a layover. He went on an amazing bike ride, and nearly biked right into a huge moose.
 The trail also took him along the airport flight line, and as Ed was biking and Delta planes were taking off he felt like throwing his fist in the air like Tom Cruise on Top Gun. Can you hear the music? I sure can.

In July, Kimberlee:

*continued to take care of her little garden.

*was called as Mia Maid 1st Counselor

*went to Girls Camp

*fell in love with a llama at the zoo

*and, you know, picked up waterskiing in her spare time.

There was a lot of this at first...
And then there was this...
And then she realized she liked it...
And now she's a pro.

In July, Keira:

*most importantly, turned 12!

Since Keira's last 2 birthdays were lame (we were moving both times), she asked if she could bring friends boating for this birthday. We had to do it weeks before her actual birthday, but it still counted as her birthday fun. 2 of her besties, Halle and Cassie, came with us.
They all tried skiing (and all got up for at least a few seconds), they all took tube rides, and then Keira drove us home. Good times.
We were in Oregon the morning of her actual birthday, so Rachel made her birthday pancakes, complete with candles and singing.
We celebrated the next day with birthday shopping and presents and cake.
Keira is a good girl. She is so excited to leave primary and start Young Women's. She was also really excited about finally reaching the age where we allow make-up. She is cheerful and helpful and spunky and kind and brave and can talk your ear off. We adore our big 12-year-old Keira-pants.

*went to Girls Camp...twice! Because of the timing of our ward split, they allowed the girls to go to their "old" ward girls camp and their "new" one. Keira was all about going to both and had a great time at each.

 *also learned to waterski, though her skills weren't really honed until our boating adventures in August

In July, Krista, Kassie, Karoline, and I:

*were just along for the ride. Seriously. Our crazy, don't-stop-for-a-moment ride. But at least there was grandma-time. And boating-time. And park time..
 And while the big girls were camping, there was even a little s'mores time with cousins.
 

3 comments:

rachel garber said...

So, I totally understand Keira ready to leave primary. I'm in the presidency and I can just see their sad faces as their friends leave and they are left behind for a few more months . . . it depresses me. I was a March birthday (oh yeah, with Kim!) so I hardly noticed I was still around because then I was gone!

That stupid hike to the top of the falls - yeah, in 2013 I showed Garbs how cool that place is --- also in flip flops - and took a huge spill that busted my ankle before we could even get to our vacation destination. (insert angry emoticon)

That second hike to the falls you did - so jealous! I see it on Instagram (I follow BestofOregon) and they highlight it all the dang time. I need to do that one.

I love your life. and that you got to see the beach. my favorite beach.

rylissite said...

I"m so sad we missed you, we went to the ponytail falls too!!!! We were RIGHT there! RIGHT there, and still so far apart. Sigh..... Tillamook is a favorite, and yet whenever we go, they are sold out of squeaky cheese, and that makes me sad. The Oregon/Washington coastline is beautiful. I'm so glad my parents live close enough, in fact they bought a cabin along Long Beach, so whenever I need a beach fix, I have a spot to go. Miss you guys.

Tina - Ball Team Co-Captain said...

I also am waiting patiently for your posts! I miss your family and I'm so happy to read about your adventures!