Pages

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

August

In August, we:

*started the month off with a bang by camping in McCall for the Anderson Family Reunion!
Ed was able to bring the boat, which made him the happiest camper of all. I don't think I can quite explain how wonderful it was for him to have his own boat on the lake he grew up on. Let's just say it was a dream come true for him.
There was tubing...
...and going fast...
...and waterskiing...
...and attempts to waterski...
There was cousin time...
...and cousin time on the beach...
...and cousin and grandma time...
...and just lots of good family time.

*We came back from McCall and went straight into the Belnap (Ed's extended family) Reunion.

Ed and Keira and Krista were able to go camping and boating at Lucky Peak with some of the family. They got back Friday evening in time for dinner, baptisms at the temple, and family history activities.
Saturday was a day at the park full of food, tie-dye, obstacle courses, and even more family time.
Ed took Kimberlee and Keira to float the river (why don't I have a picture of that???), and the little ones went with Drew and I to play in the fountain.
We finished the evening with Lip Syncs - our family did "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"...that is really not something we are talented at, but we did it anyway and didn't get booed off the stage.

Sunday morning was family testimony meeting. Always super special.

*We rolled straight from that family reunion to dinner at my parents' house to start the Law Family Reunion. This one was kind of hastily thrown together...Eric and family came to town from Texas, and next thing we knew most of the other out-of-towners were coming as well.

This is a picture of Khloe's hair bow...just kidding, I was trying to be sneaky about capturing Krista and Cari's joy at being together.
This is my dark playroom full of cousins.
This is Nathan's floating head...oh yes, and little ones on the slip-n-slide
And other little ones in the pools.
And that, my friends, is all the pictures I have of a week full of fun. Seriously...I'm hoping someone else got a lot more because there was so much more. There was camping (except my little family didn't go because Kim had to work), there was quiet-book-making, there was lots and lots of food, there was Olympics-watching, there was helping Donna move...and there was a full day of boating fun at Black Canyon that I really wish I had a couple pictures of.

*we helped celebrate Drew's 30th birthday with a pool party.
Towards the end, the big kids started getting crazy with their dives. So funny.

In August, Ed:

*was lucky to get the time off for all the reunions, but when he was working he spent some more time in Boston
Some cool pieces at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts

*flew over Crater Lake

*finished off the month with an Air Force trip to Miami where he parked next to cars like these:
And hung out with cousin Jenny and fam in the Keys

*spent time trying to figure out why our water feature won't work and why our lawn is dying. Took a turn helping at the church cannery. Sometimes being home is tougher than being at work.

In August, I:

*chauffered, shopped, packed, unpacked, cooked, cleaned, filled out paperwork, went to presidency meetings, took notes, planned, taught piano, nagged, did hair, hosted, camped, attended school orientations, etc. etc. etc. You know, the usual...with a dash of vacation and back-to-school and Olympics thrown in. Just like all the rest of you. :)

*celebrated Ed's and my 16th anniversary! We spent it by taking the Laws boating, and then at Drew's birthday party...so, just like our wedding, partying with family. And then we were able to get away the next night for dinner alone together. The years are starting to fly, but they also just keep getting better and better as we go.

In August, Kimberlee:

*became a working girl!
All of my younger siblings have worked for a company called Seminis. They're owned by Monsanto (if you're going to boo and hiss, do it somewhere else please) and they spend their time in the corn fields helping with pollination. My brother Brian and sister Sarah still work there and now Kimberlee continues the tradition. She was not a fan of the early mornings (up at 6:15 after sleeping in all summer), or the long hours in the sun...but she's a fan now that all her paychecks have come in. I'm hoping she'll do it again next summer. Our little child of the corn.

*began enjoying the fruits of her labors. Lots of tomatoes and really yummy cucumbers.

*started high school.
So far...so good, I guess? She got all the classes she wanted for first semester (she wants to drop one for second) - Japanese I, Drawing, Seminary, PE, along with the core English, Earth Science, Global Perspectives, and Honors Math. The Japanese teacher they had listed suddenly isn't at the school anymore, so she was surprised the 1st day to find out the class is now taught from a different high school over something like Skype. She's enjoying Seminary (yay!), and I'm so grateful she has release-time - it's hard enough for she and I to get up and moving to get on the bus at 6:30 (which I'm really not happy about - school doesn't actually start until 7:45, but they get them there in time for before-school "intervention" for any kids who are struggling). Now the big goal is to make more friends since all her besties from last year ended up at different schools.

In August, Keira:


*went to the temple for the first time
So special that she could go to the same temple her dad and I went to for our first times, that she was baptized for Belnap ancestors, and that she was able to be there with her dad, sister, grandparents, and cousins. Lucky girl!

*became a pro at waterskiing. She made a goal to start crossing the wake and she did it!

*started 7th grade at a brand new middle school.
Keira is taking Beginning Art, Life Science, World Civilizations, Math, English, Drama, and an Exploratory class that all 7th graders take (Life Skills, Spanish, PE, and Pre-Engineering - a different class for each quarter). So far she's loving Art and World Civ and hating Life Skills. She also started cross country and is hungry for PRs.

In August, Krista:

*started 4th grade!
Krista got the teacher she wanted, which never seems to happen for us! I think she'll be good for Krista - apparently she's pretty heavy on the homework, which is fantastic for our quiet little busy bee. She also started her second year of "Challenge" (G/T). Things are just pretty fantastic for Krista...she gets to walk to the bus with her bestie, she has lots of friends in her class, she loves Activity Days. If only she had her own room, life would be just about perfect.

In August, Sassafras:

*started 1st grade!
Yay for going all day! This smarty-pants doesn't like school, partly because she gets bored, and partly because she's lazy. But she LOVES getting to eat lunch at school - it makes it all worth it. Actually, just last night she told me that she likes this year much better than last year, so maybe she's had a change of heart about school. She has a sweet, grandmotherly teacher, and is so excited that her friend Cloe is in her class this year.

In August, Karoline:

*struggled with her "girls" going to school and leaving her alone with mom. The first day after an hour or so she told me to "go pick up Kimmee". Poor lonely child.

*FINALLY has been able to go to nursery without severe bouts of crying. She cries when we first drop her off, but calms down in seconds...just as soon as a teacher puts her on her lap and reads her a book.

We're sure loving our Idahome!

1 comment:

rachel garber said...

I like that family reunion picture thing with the family pictures and then you put your face in the cut out frame. Very cool idea!

Hey, whereabouts do you live? I only ask because we've started to look for houses and are dying for more than just .25/.33 acres and I feel like you said your backyard is an acre or you're on an acre . . . after being on 100+ acres, I'm going to need SOMETHING more than house on top of house on top of house. :)