This is FRED. When I asked Ed why the C-5 was called Fred, he told me I didn't want to know. Now I know why, and I'm telling you, you don't want to know.
We eventually got on the C-5, and after an hour of waiting we finally took off.
I don't know how this happened, but all three girls ended up with Ed (Keira is hiding behind him, fast asleep). They sure love their daddy.
We arrived in Guam later that night. We discovered that no taxis were allowed on the base (but we could walk 2 miles to the base gate and catch one there). There was shuttle that could take us to our hotel (for $20/person), but they weren't answering their phones. We sat in the terminal for a while, trying to figure out what to do. The shuttle eventually showed up, and we found a way to cram 10 people into 7 seats so we could finally go to our hotel and go to bed.
In this picture Kimberlee is also proudly showing off her McDonald's Happy Meal toys. I don't know why, but McDonald's definitely tastes better in America. We also had to venture to Blimpie (mmmm), Outback, and tried Planet Hollywood for the first time - so not impressed.
DAY 4: We enjoyed a leisurely morning of swimming and packing up, then took the shuttle back to the base terminal. Typhoon Sinlaku had majorly changed course and completely missed Okinawa. The KC-135s did not evacuate to Guam. After a couple hours waiting it was plain to see there would be no flight home for us that day. We rented a car and drove for quite some time to stay at Navy Lodging...which also allowed us to see a lot of the island.
DAY 5 (Monday): Back to the terminal. We are in and out of there all day, waiting through roll calls, or being told someone is in fact not taking space-a's. There will be one last roll call at 4:30 p.m., and it looks like our chances of getting on the plane are good. Ed turns in the keys to the rental car. The girls remain sane by playing in the Family Lounge Playroom.
They begin roll call a little late. After a while we begin to notice that Cat. 4s and Cat. 5s are being called. Ed goes to the desk and is told that even though he talked to someone at the desk 3 times during the day, they never bothered to mark him as present for roll call. "And sorry, there's nothing we can do." Never mind that no one has been manifested yet, they've only had their names called. Ed is seeing red. Swear words are running through my mind. They call retirees, but our family can't make it on the plane. The flight is closed, but we hang around - mostly because we are defeated, but also to see if a miracle occurs and they open up more seats. The pilots come on the radio and announce they won't be taking any space-a's. Everyone in the terminal is back to sqaure one. Ed has to call the shuttle again to drive him to the airport to get another rental car. We drive back to Navy Lodging and finally collapse into bed around midnight.
DAY 6 (Tuesday): Last chance day, since Ed's leave is up on Wednesday. We get back to the terminal and are told they will be having roll call shortly for a KC-135 from Ed's squadron. Ed gets in touch with the pilot and asks him to open up enough seats. He says he'll see what he can do. Next thing we know, they are announcing there will be no space-a's for the flight. Ed calls the pilot back, says please very nicely, and we wait. In the end they could only open up 10 seats...which would have been plenty, except for the 10 duty passengers who needed to get back to Kadena. We are trumped, and we have to give up. Ed calls the travel agency on base, finds the cheapest commercial flights he can (cheap is a relative term when you have 5 tickets to buy), and gets us a hotel for the night. Thankfully, this time we kept our rental car and can easily get to where we need to go. We spend the last night at the Pacific Islands Club, playing in the pools, eating Jamaican food (yummy), and making sure our family vacation ends on a happy note.
The girls had a blast until Keira fell off her mat on the water slide (she wouldn't let go of me the rest of the night), and Kimmee threw up as soon as she got out of the pool. We went to bed listening to the loudest thunderstorm I've ever heard.
DAY 7 (Wednesday): Up bright and early and to the airport. We had a hard time convincing the girls that we were really getting on a plane today. Kimmee wants to go back to school, Keira has missed her friends, and Krista could use a full night's sleep in her own bed. We have to put Kimmee in the umbrella stroller because she's sick. Keira gets jealous and screams all the way through the Fukuoka Airport. Krista marches along like she's the queen of the world. All the Japanese businessmen stare at the weird Americans as we very loudly make our way from one terminal to the next. We land in Okinawa - home again, home again, jiggity jig - and are greeted to pouring rain and raging wind - the worst weather Okinawa had in the last week. The irony is not lost on us. Superwoman Angie saves us again by picking us up and taking us home.
Ed commented last night as we were looking through pictures that what we will remember from this trip is the first few days. It really was wonderful being together as a family and having yet another adventure. All the other stuff is already becoming hazy. We are richer in wisdom and poorer in dollars. We learned a lot about space-a travel, and will probably even do it again. Just not to Guam. And yes Dad, Guam is beautiful this time of year.
12 comments:
Space A travel...I love it! Not so unlike my adventure. Although I was without my sweet husband. I am glad that you had so many good times. There are some really great memories in there! ☺
Guam looks beautiful and the resorts wonderful. Sorry you had to fly commercial home. Ouch. Watching the girls smiles and laughter and being together as a family in such an awesome place...priceless as they say.
Hmmm... maybe thinking twice about flying space-a to see you guys. Well, we'll have to chat and you guys can give me all the tips you have. I'll give myself plenty of time to get to your house, and back. Anyway, Guam looks beautiful. Glad you mostly had fun. By the way, I just mailed you (MA) a birthday gift and I hope it gets there in a reasonable amount of time. Sorry if it breaks in transit. I tried to package it real good. So be on the lookout!
My dearest MeeAnn...how I miss you. I just love reading your blog and storing the information I'll need in trying to fly space-A. It really is going to be a fun experience...or at least an experience. I'm glad that you did have some fun though. It looked absolutely fun and beautiful. Love ya.
You guys win THE AWARD for most patience during Space-A travel... you're proof of why I tried to steer clear. I can relate to the Tokyo trip getting cancelled.. our plans got bumped as well. Wow... how amazing you are!
Wow...the pictures looked great, you're right, the fun times will outlast the bad memories. The girls will remember how great it was to be together and how fun it is to see new places.
Wow! What an adventure for you guys! We've never tried to fly space-A, and I can see why you won't do it again!
Wow. I am tired and worn out just reading your post. We are thinking of space-a this spring/summer to go home..but now I am scared. :)
I am glad you had fun...minus the waiting...minus the missed flights...minus the throw-up...minus the money for last minute flight. :)
The pictures of the waterslides look so fun!
Holy cow! Well, I am glad the adventures in between the flying adventures was worth it to you and your cute family! I don't know if I would have had the ability to write about that adventure in PG language for quite awhile! I bet the girls will have those memories for years to come!
Wow. What an adventure. Thank goodness the digital camera only records the good memories and you'll eventually forgot about all the hassles and frustrations. Now you can say you've been to Guam.
Minus the planes and waiting, it looks like you had a great time. What a beautiful place! You are so lucky.
SOOOO beautiful!! How fun for you to be there. What a great chance for your family and what great memories. Sorry about the planes-that is the part I hate about traveling with little ones or without!!
Post a Comment