Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Kurashiki Dam

We enjoyed a wonderful General Conference this last weekend (and just so I don't get any questions as to why we get it 2 weeks later than everyone else...we are 14 hours ahead of Utah. If we were to watch conference on the weekend it actually takes place we'd be up all night. The weekend after conference, the Japanese wards use the church buildings to watch conference. Our turn comes 2 weeks later. Everyone up to speed? Good.). After our last session we all needed to get out of the house. There is a beautiful park and reservoir not far from our house - the home of Kurashiki Dam. The weather was perfect for a Sunday stroll.





I love the Japanese vending machines. In many of them there are options for cold and hot drinks (the hot drinks are usually coffee, or coffee-flavored).



We also had the opportunity last night to attend a fireside with Elder David A Bednar (an apostle in our church), who was visiting Okinawa with his wife and Elder David F. Evans. Ed stayed home with sick Krista (and Keira, who wasn't sick), and I took Kimmee. It is always a wonderful experience to be in the presence of one of our church leaders. Rather than give a talk, Elder Bednar invited the congregation to ask questions. There were some good, thoughtful questions asked, and inspiring answers. Kimberlee decided she had a very important question for Elder Bednar, and raised her hand high every time he asked for another question. Obviously she wasn't the only one, and he wasn't able to call on her. During the closing hymn she looked really disappointed, so I told her that maybe she should ask her dad her question. She was skeptical..."I don't think he'll know the answer." I assured her he would, but told her we could go shake Elder Bednar's hand and she could ask him then (honestly, I thought she'd change her mind - she's always been a little shy around adult men). After waiting in line, Kimmee approached Elder Bednar, shook his hand, and asked, "Why do we have to go to church?" Elder Bednar leaned over, looked her right in the eye, and said, "Because that is where we learn how to feel the Holy Ghost." He then taught her a little about the Holy Ghost, despite the fact that there were still many waiting in the line behind us. Kimmee seemed satisfied, and we continued on our way. As we were walking to the car, I asked, "So, what was the answer to your question?" She gave me a blank look and said, "I don't know, so we can learn about Jesus?" Sigh. Oh well. At least I learned some things from the meeting, and hopefully in October when we watch conference again Kimmee will at least remember that she shook Elder Bednar's hand.

6 comments:

rachel garber said...

So cool! I hope she remembers that experience. When I was at BYUI I was part of a group and we put on a weekend for women so I got to meet the Bednars. There is definitely a good spirit around that couple :)

Grandma and Bonka said...

What a great experience for Kimmee.

Unknown said...

Wow! That is a wonderful experience for a little girl.

Mindy said...

This is great to hear!
When Chad and I were at BYU-Idaho, then President Bednar (of BYU-I) would give firesides. They always had a unique format. One where he'd ask for inspired questions...and give inspired answers. He taught a lot about how we communicate in that respect with Heavenly Father.
He was always held in high respect on campus, and when General Conference came around, students would guess/joke that he'd be the next apostle...and it happened! After that, we wondered if there would be a day when we'd go to General Conference and Elder Bednar would get up to speak and instead ask for inspired questions. It's great to hear that he is still doing this. It would have been great to been there. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Angela Draper said...

How neat that Elder Bednar was there!

LA Law said...

Thanks for sharing....how wonderful!