Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Who is this "Murphy" anyway?

Murphy's Law seems to be a given during deployments.  Looking back, I've actually been quite lucky about how many things have NOT gone wrong.  It seems like I am past due.
 
Cue Thursday: I'm on the phone with my mom when I notice my washing machine has stopped for the second time in the middle of a cycle.  It works, it just won't go into the drain and spin stage.  I panic ("Ed needs to be here to fix this!")...and then google it, order the part, and find a YouTube video on how to install it.  The part arrived the next day and I was able to go to work.
 
First things first: take apart the machine.  The defective part would be that little gray square near the top left corner of the lid - the lid switch.

Step 2: take out the bad part (and wish that Kassie hadn't destroyed your hair if there was going to be picture-taking).
 Step 3: install the new part.
 Step 4: put the machine back together and do a happy dance when it works as normal.
It doesn't sound like a big deal, but my confidence was through the roof at this point.  Sometimes you forget what you're capable of and it takes having to do something on your own to remind you.  I finished this feeling like I could do anything...and wishing that someone else was here to take care of everything else so I didn't have to.  I miss my much-more-capable husband.  But I'm thrilled my laundry room doesn't smell like wet sheets anymore.

11 comments:

Jamie Lamb said...

Yay for you! Our washer just did something funky, too...and I made Jarom fix it. But I did look it up myself, and tell him how to fix it! :)

rachel garber said...

YAY FOR YOU!! I am super impressed. My first cue is to usually cry and feel sorry for myself and then wish I still lived in an apartment with a maintenance man. You rock!

emily said...

Wow, You are awesome!! I fixed my broken sewing machine once and felt like Wonder Woman. Fixing a washing machine is on a whole other level!! Especially with little people around to take care of. I'm totally inspired!!

Grandma and Bonka said...

I'm in awe!!

Unknown said...

WOW! I had a leaky washer after moving on base while Jared was deployed and I just got a new one :) you are wonder woman!

rachel garber said...

Band of Brothers is my favorite miniseries EVER. It ranks right there behind Lost. Embarrassing as it may be, I have yet to finish the book. I am lost in all the military lingo and so I put it aside and start it again. A pattern that has been going for about seven years now. I will finish it one of these days. I love that we are alike :)

Angie said...

Wonder Woman!!! Good job!

Allen Family said...

Nice job Wonder Woman!! I knew you could do it!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

That's my girl - brings back memories of fixing the fridge when it wasn't cooling. Very satisfying!
Fair warning - that was the first thing I fixed and was successful at - never try to fix anything to do with plumbing! Fortunately we have a plumber next door:)

JJ said...

Piece of cake right?? :)