I really can't figure out how we went so quickly from this:
to this:
But it doesn't matter how fast it went, it definitely required a celebration.Come on Karoline, we made you this sign, the least you can do is smile....there it is.
Balls and food. Nothing else could have made this little girl happier.
We sure adore this spunky 1-year-old.
Side notes (aka the nitty gritty):Karoline is what some call a "Rainbow Baby" - the baby that comes after the "storm" of miscarriage, stillbirth or infant loss. I will be forever grateful for the healing that she brought to me after Kathryn. However, for some reason I had grand ideas that my rainbow baby would be an angel. That she would be the best baby, with the sweetest personality, who never gave me any grief. I deserved that, right? Our KK was a pretty good newborn. She has a cute, spunky personality. But as for grief...this girl can be difficult. She can be clingy. She is often whiny. Her sleeping habits went downhill for a year before she finally started sleeping well again. She is sometimes mischievous. She bit me hard (several times) while nursing and left damage that none of my other babies had (TMI?). And then she refused to wean until 15 months (I started trying at 12). I sometimes giggle when I sing "Sweet Caroline" because she isn't always sweet. You know, she's a normal baby. BUT...all this has turned out to be a good thing. Much of my pregnancy with Karoline and that first little while after she was born was filled with thoughts about Kathryn and what this baby meant after that experience. But Karoline is not just a rainbow baby. She's Karoline. She's Kathryn's sister, but she isn't here to make everything about Kathryn better. That takes the pressure off of both of us. I love this girl just the way she is - and most of the time that is sweet, and happy, and so much fun.
KK is a mama's girl. Which I don't mind at all. And it's probably my fault she's that way because I was very selfish with her.
She is a little small for her age - 17 lbs at 12 months.
She loves balls and electronics and books and being outside. Her favorite foods are avocados and Veggie Dip puffs. She will try almost any food we give her, but if she doesn't like it right away she will never try it again.
She crawled at 6 months and started walking just before 11 months. Her first word was "uh oh."
Just after her birthday I took her in for her shots. She had started sleeping through the night again, and I was thinking of starting the weaning process. The shots didn't seem to bother her too much. A week later a rash started on her legs and eventually moved up her body to her face. It was hot to the touch and itchy (hives?) and she had a high fever...and she was miserable.
Everything I read said this was a common reaction to the MMR vaccine and would be over in about 5 days. In the meantime Karoline would NOT sleep. The only thing that would make her stop crying was nursing - there went the weaning plan. We spent 5 straight nights nursing, crying, walking the floor, rocking, and praying for just an hour or 2 of sleep - there went sleeping through the night. And then 5 days later she was fine again. Whew! I'm so grateful we don't have to do that again.
She hates her carseat. She has her entire life.
She has so many teeth I can't keep track. It sure makes for a beautiful smile.
Did I mention we adore this girl? Because we do. She's our favorite little KK.
1 comment:
I haven't caught up on your blog for a long time! It's so fun to see your cute family again. I laughed when you wrote about your rainbow baby being a bit of a storm herself because that's what I thought about Nathan when he was such a crazy, crying beast as a baby. I think Heavenly Father knew me so well that he saved Jason and Nate for after Sam so they could survive their childhood. :) I was so grateful for their health that I could overlook the pure craziness of life with these two boys. I love that Karoline has made her own spot in your life and family. She is a beauty. Hope you are all doing well!
Post a Comment