Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Okinawa Memory Quilt, take 2

I did it again, I joined another quilting group. But I wasn't in charge of this one, and that made it so much more enjoyable! We're still waiting on 2 of the squares, but here are the 18 we have so far:
We'll get mine out of the way first - this is my beach scene. The beach is our absolute favorite thing about living on Okinawa.
Japanese fans
Daruma Doll
Hollow round dolls used as a good luck charm. The Japanese can be very superstitious.
Kokeshi doll
Popular wooden dolls. We have quite the collection ourselves.
Washi box
I made several of these a couple years ago. Made out of milk cartons and covered in washi paper.
Kimono
Dive flag
The flag is a red background with a white diagonal stripe, but in this case the diver is the stripe. Ed has really enjoyed the diving here.
Gecko!
Turtle-back tomb
Family burial "plots." Found in some of the most random places, in neighborhoods and even built into the sides of hills.
3 Tear Symbol
On the flag of the Ryukyu Islands (which Okinawa is a part of). You can look up the story if you're that interested.
The sea wall and surfboards.
Retaining walls often covered in beautiful grafiti (yes, grafiti can be beautiful). We love walking along the seawall.
Taiko drum
If you go to any of the festivals here you will see taiko drummers.
Mt. Fuji.
Technically this is not on Okinawa, but many of the people stationed here will head up to the mainland to hike it.
Silk Balls
I honestly can't remember what these are called or their significance. But they're pretty.
Carp windsocks (koi nobori)
These are hung for Children's Day in May - maybe this year I'll actually get a picture of them.
Banyan tree
Can get quite large with intricate above-ground root systems.
Cherry blossoms!
And C.C. Lemon
A popular drink found in all the drink machines here. And there are drink machines everywhere - on random street corners, and even in fields. There are several right down the street from us in the construction area.
If you'd like to see the squares from the first quilt group, go here.

6 comments:

The Schooley's said...

Love them all!! WHat a great quilt you will have!!

Allen Family said...

Looks like another wonderful quilt. Also looks like some really wonderful memories. I love your quilt block. It is really beautiful. You do good work.

Nancy said...

Beautiful! You guys are really talented.

LA Law said...

Wow! That's wonderful!

Grandma and Bonka said...

Yours is very beautiful. I'm so impressed with your talents! An heirloom for your family.

Cathryn said...

I am so glad someone finally posted this groups squares...thank you! Honestly, yours is wonderful and, in my opinion, one of the best in the group; great job!